Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Din Tai Fung (Xiao Long Bao)

Recently me and Jen have went to Din Tai Fung a couple of times in the past few months.  It is the most famous Xiao Long Bao (like a Dumpling with soup) in Taiwan, and they have stores everywhere.  They are all awesome regardless of which location you go to.  Jen doesn't like the fact I don't like to eat much seafood mind, because that means she has to order all the seafood ones and eat them all herself. 


I normally get chicken, beef, normal kind and the sweet taro kind which are all amazing, and Jen always likes to get the spicy ones with prawns inside.  You can get all different kinds of flavours inside.  The service there is great also.  


Din Tai Fung is so popular in Taiwan that every time you go to the restaurant you always have to queue!  When we were standing in the queue they had a picture of Tom Cruise stood there with his big bowl of xiao long bao, and I told Jen I bet you Mr. Cruise didn't have to wait in the goddamn queue. 


It cost about 1000nt for the 2 of us, and we had around 36 xiao long bao's and Zhongzhi.  I cannot recommend it enough, it is one of my most favourite places to eat in Taiwan.  Even Tom Cruise agrees! It is definitely a Taiwanese specialty.  Jen was telling me they have to make sure every xiao long bao has to be the same, and have the exact number of folds in it, the exact amount of meat, and they all have to be the exact weight!!! Anyway I cannot say enough, just go there.  We went to the one in SOGO at Zhongxiao Fuxing, but we have also been to the ones at Zhongxiao Dunhua, and at Taipei 101. 



At Zhongxiao Fuxing you can see the staff  making the xiao long bao outside. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gua Sha treatment for heat stroke relief

Earlier this week I had to get Gua Sha, because of suffering from bad heat stroke after hiking in the afternoon, like a madman, bang on midd...